Under Twos


We will have places available in the free 2-year old provision from September 2018.


Free learning and childcare for 2 year olds

Children can have up to 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year (school term time).

Some learning providers offer free hours in the school holidays, for example children could have 11 hours each week for 51 weeks of the year.


Apply for free learning and childcare

Use the Kirklees Parent Portal.

To apply for a place now your child must be born between 01/01/2016 and 31/08/2016.

Completing this form takes around 10 minutes.

Apply online



You can apply for a free place for your child if you receive one or more of the following benefits:

  • Child tax credit and/or working tax credit and your annual household income is less than £16,191 (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs)
  • Income support
  • Income based job seekers allowance
  • Income related employment and support allowance
  • Support under part V1 of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • If you do not claim any of the above benefits, please contact the Family Information Service (FIS) to apply for a place, as your child will be eligible for a free place if they:
  • Receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Have an Education, Health and Care plan
  • Are looked after by the Council, or have left care through a Special Guardianship order, Child Arrangements order or adoption
  • Have a Child Protection or Child in Need PlanWhen eligible children can start their free place


If your child's 2nd birthday is between

Their free place can start from

1 January and 31 March

Summer term (after Easter)

1 April and 31 August

Autumn term (early September)

1 September and 31 December

Spring term (early January)


After you have applied

  • If you are eligible, we will send you a voucher code to give to your chosen provider
  • Choose an approved provider by using the childcare search , or contact the Kirklees Family Information Service (FIS)
  • If we cannot confirm that you are eligible we will write to you requesting additional information